FipsIDE (was: MC IDE problem)

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Mon Jan 24 11:52:13 EST 2005

>Future enhancements
>-------------------
>
>The final version will work from modules residing in a subfolder of
>the Plugins folder, probably to be called something cryptic like
>"FlipsIDE Modules".
>
>Each modile will be simply a stack file with a stack script
>containing two handlers:  one for loading a specified IDE and one
>for purging it.
>
>It will ship with at least two prefab modules, one for MC and one
>for running with no IDE at all.
>
>It will be easy to write the load/purge handlers, so we could see
>modules for any third party set of tools that comprises a complete
>development environment.
>
>From the list of installed modules you'll be able to set one as a
>default, so that launching Rev with FlipsIDE installed will cause
>FlipsIDE to automatically flip into the specified IDE if desired.

So in fact, we will need a separate module for each release of each
IDE since the list of components may vary between releases (this
applies only to Rev at this time). I wonder whether each IDE should
not have a built-in function that returns a list of its components,
so FlipsIDE (and any other utils) can get it dynamically. This would
keep the number of prefab modules down on the long term. Rev's
suspend development environment function must use such a list.

Robert