Planned changes for b9

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Sat Jan 22 00:41:54 EST 2005

Hi Richard,

> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>>> Win only
>>> [ ] Save windows "Version Info" into a custom property of the stack
>>> to-be-saved...
>> Well...no. I'd rather see the text file. In general, I don't like the
>> IDE messing around with my stacks. Chances are good that I will open
>> up a stack later on, see a property I don't remember putting there,
>> not know what it is for, and not know what to do with it. I don't
>> like when that happens. I don't mind loading a text file though, and
>> I think this would be a handy feature. Right now I do the same thing,
>> only I keep the settings all together in a stack I made just for that
>> purpose.
>
> As long as the rest of the Standalone Builder doesn't change it won't
> affect me one way or another, as I have my own auto-build system in
> place.

We guessed :-)

> I use a custom prop myself for build settings -- in the first card of
> the mainstack, leaving the stack itself entirely free for the
> developer.  I often have routines that get the keys of a stack and do
> stuff with them, so if it must be a property I would prefer it be in
> the card, which is not used for custom props as often.
>
> A text file might be extra handy if the tool maintained a list of
> which text files go with which stack files -- load the stack file and
> the build settings could be loaded automatically.
>
> The only downside to text files is that they must either be manually
> loaded or risk losing their association with the target stack.

OK. proposal, when the user is asked to save the file, we could set the
directory in the
save dialog to the folder containing the stack!

Then when opening the "Version Info" stack i could check if there is an
appropriate file
and load it automatically...

I think this would be

> However, I do feel strongly about the IDE not setting any custom props
> in a user's stacks (my personal builder is separate from the IDE);
> this has been the source of much confusion and error in the Rev IDE,
> and frankly if they had it to do over again I'm not sure they'd use
> that approach.

Yo :-)

> So if we do make this one exception we should first ask the user if
> that's what they want to do.

OK, maybe 3 alternatives?

save as text
Save as cp
Don't save

Sigh, i will create another "form" for the poll :-D

Tear off here -> ############
#########################
1.
Could you live with these changes in general?
[ ] Yes
[ ] No, i am just too conservative

2.
Standalone builder
[ ] Add missing suffix silently?
[ ] Ask the user?

3.
Position of Menubar on win/*nix
[ ] Put Menubar on (almost) topleft corner of the screen
[ ] Put it ............................. (fill in your favourite
position)
[ ] Leave it as is, i will do my own thing :-)

4.
Win only
[ ] Save windows "Version Info" into a custom property of the stack
to-be-saved...
[ ] Save it as a textfile with a fancy suffix mowgli ehm... "*sabu"
[ ] Textfile with this fancy suffix: "*....................."
[ ] Ask user to either save as:
   textfile OR
   cp OR
   don't save
   AND
   check for all these options when opening "Version Info" and act
accordingly? :-)

Tear off here -> ############

Regards

Klaus Major