Fast Searches

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Jan 11 10:27:35 EST 2005

On 1/11/05 6:15 AM, "Wil Dijkstra" <W.Dijkstra at fsw.vu.nl> wrote:

> Now I better understand your datastructure & problem. Don't think it's
> necessary to delve into Valentina. Just try this:
>
> repeat for each line myline in mydata
>   add 1 to myArray [word 4 of myLine]
> end repeat
> put keys (myArray) into myList
> put the number of lines of myList
>
> It puts the number of different students into the message box
>
> Wil Dijkstra

Hey, Wil! Long time no hear!

BTW, for those who don't know Wil, he was responsible for a series of
articles about increasing script performance in MetaCard a couple of years
ago that I have on my site under Tips/Scripting Tricks:

Increasing Script Performance, Part I:
http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/revolution.htm?_scrp005

Increasing Script Performance, Part II:
http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/revolution.htm?_scrp006

Increasing Script Performance, Part III:
http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/revolution.htm?_scrp007

His articles greatly adjusted the way I code things nowadays. If you haven't
checked 'em out already, I suggest you do!

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com