Id numbers vs names

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Sat Feb 26 15:34:55 EST 2005

> The
> reasoning against using the number was that it can change.  I don't
> recall the reasoning behind the name,

may be that was that names won't change...

> But in one instance I chose to use the ID numbers, and now I'm SORRY
> SORRY SORRY!  Because when updating the program adding/deleting
> things, those numbers change, and I have to go thru every line of
> code to find where the numbers are referenced.

well using ID numbers has certain drawbacks indeed, but also
some benefits, especially in Rev where successive controls
have incremental ID numbers (when in HC AFAIR they used to
be created at random) : for instance in a project I had to create
400 graphics to be included in a group : referencing each graphic
by its ID number was pretty easy and very convenient...

JB