New prefs scheme for MC

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Thu Feb 10 14:49:54 EST 2005

>Hi all,

>>Makes sense...
>>
>>Maybe i could check the "mcversion" of stack "mctools" to differ between the
>>different IDEs?
>
>Sorry, but this sounds like rubbish :-)
>
>Maybe i could use a combination of "the version" & " the
>buildnumber" which should be unique,
>at least somehow ;-)
>

>Regards
>
>Klaus Major

Klaus, I am afraid that any such a scheme is fallible. If I install a
new build, suddenly my preferences will be gone, for example.

What about having more options instead if the two discussed earlier

- preference settings in the Home stack
- preference settings as a file in 'Preferences' folder *
- preference settings as a file in IDE's folder *
- preference settings as a user-specified file

*) wording must be adjusted to fit all systems

In the last case, user specifies the location and name of the file. A
simpler variant would allow only to set the name but use the
preferences or IDE folder for location.

This passes the buck to the user but allows us to easily share pref
files or pick a specific file after upgrade or new install or when
launching a new copy for some testing. It would also offer sharing
options in multi-user environments me thinks.

The issue then is where to store info about the custom location and
whether it should be absolute or relative path.

Well, just brainstorming :)

Robert