Bizarro behavior explained

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 9 13:30:47 EST 2005

J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 2/8/05 7:23 AM, Klaus Major wrote:
>
>> We wait until the "Home" stack is no longer necessary as Richard
>> predicted ;-)
>

> I must have missed something along the line -- why/when/how are we not
> going to need a Home stack?

Of course some Home stack or another will still be need to be present
for licensing, but the one we're all currently will need to be replaced
at some point with the next license change so any changes you might have
made to it now will be lost at that time.

Also, once FlipsIDE goes final there may be some who prefer the simpler
setup and since it runs MC with Rev's license stack it may not be wise
to store custom props there, since we can't rely on any features of
other people's stuff remaining in place indefinitely.

The upside for what Klaus is working on is that it's generally
considered the right thing to do:  both HIGs strongly suggest it, and in
circumstances where the current user may not be an administrator it may
be the only way to have prefs stored reliably between sessions.