Bizarro global anomaly

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Fri Feb 4 16:20:37 EST 2005

I often use the global gTemp as a sort of catchall global.  To move
data from here to there, knowing that other handlers will use it at
other times for other things.  And the stacks I'm working on have
been using this global successfully for two years.  No problemo.

All of a sudden, the data wasn't being moved.  It was as if gTemp was
being treated as a local instead of global, even though it was always
declared as a global.  Yes I'd made changes to the code, but after
studying it over and over for several hours, found nothing that would
have emptied out the global gTemp.

put an "answer gTemp" at the end of one handler and the beginning of
the next, to verify.  Data existed at the end of handler A, but when
handler B started up, suddenly gTemp was empty.  No explanation.

I tried everything.  Reinstalled Metacard.  Rebuilt the primary stack
using the global from scratch.  Spent an entire day trying to figure
it out.  No luck.

So I changed gTemp to gTempie (using Metacard's replace) and
suddenly, all is well.

Talk about gremlins!  This thing had me nuts!

--
Mac and Windows shareware games
http://www.gypsyware.com