Going to websites on OSX

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Thu Dec 29 10:53:03 CST 2005

Hi Shari,

> Are there other options to the following to take people to a website?
>
> # tUrl being the website address, as in http://www.something.com
>       send tUrl to program "Finder" with "GURLGURL"
> if that fails, it tries:
>
>       put "open location" && quote & tURL & quote into s
>       do s as AppleScript
>
> if that also fails it puts tUrl on the clipboard so that the user
> can paste it into their web browser.
> The above works for some, but not all.  It does make sure that the
> person is connected to the internet first before trying.  I was
> wondering if perhaps Tiger requires a new approach?

i use "shell" most of the time on X and never had problems:

put "http://....." into tURL
get shell("start" && quote & tURL & quote)

> On a happy note... I'm getting excited!  My New Computer Fund is
> very happy, and I look forward to upgrading to a new Intel machine
> when they come out.

Lucky girl :-)

> Is there any ETA on when Metacard (Revolution) will come out with
> an Intel-happy version?

I think so.

And hopefuly immediately in real time and not in "scottish Rev-time"
which is approximately
10 times longer than "real life" :-D

Example:

A new terstversion of Rev was announced "to come out in the next few
days" and appeared
about 4 weeks after this nice announcement! ;-)

> Shari
>
> --
> Mac and Windows shareware games
> http://www.gypsyware.com