Desktop Alias with Applescript

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Dec 11 11:46:50 CST 2005

Shari wrote:
> I had an Applescript that created a desktop alias on OSX (from within
> Metacard), and it was working okey dokey.
>
> At some point when I wasn't looking, it broke.

When OS X happened, aliases began using Unix-style links rather than old
OS 9 type links. Unix links are based on file paths rather than document
IDs. Moving a file from its original location will break the link.

I don't know which version of links the Finder creates -- it is a sort
of hybrid animal now -- but the above may be part of the problem. You
may need a shell command to do the "ln" command, which creates
unix-style links. I tried to find my notes on that for you but they seem
to have disappeared.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com