A Philosophical Point (Mathewson)

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Thu Apr 28 10:02:21 EDT 2005

1.- As a long-time user of GPL and BSD licensed software, i just want
to add that Linux is'nt a free OS as soon as we need to use it to run
professional-grade solutions alike, DMZ solutions, Internet, Extranet
or Intranet portals. In about security and ease of deployment of "said
free stuff", i always had to pay for licensed professional-grade linux
distributions and updates (the Suse-Linux Pro one, in my case). Getting
serious solutions running on top of full Free Software is'nt available
at all today, even in the universities laboratories.

2.- The Rev Team need to be free to organise its time to think and
design the Revolution product line. Without this freedom, Revolution
would be a many more low-level core coding development framework, just
because when we don't have enought time to think what we are building,
we are going to lowest quality software sevelopment.

3.- If i compare what i'm paying each year to stay a registred
Revolution user and the good luck i have to be able to use Revolution
instead of any low-level core coding development framework, i just know
that the licensied fees are still very reasonable, not to say low.

4.- The ones who don't want to help the Rev Team to continue to do its
job are, in my mind, free to go to others developments paradigms...
There is lots availables, including scripting tools, java or C/C++
frameworks and so on.

It's never very good to say to others : "what is yours must become
mine." In the real world, things are going otherwise and, i thing, it's
good so.

Just my two cents...

> Okay. And how exactly is the Rev company going to survive without
> revenue? Are you wishfully confusing HyperCard as an Apple computer
> freebie that is no longer supported, with Revolution as a commercial
> reality? Frankly, both these questions are rhetorical and do not
> warrant an expose'd rationale, wishful or otherwise.
>

> /H
>
> >What Runtime Revolution has done has ensured that their
> >product will only be used by commercial developers (i.e.
> >those who can pay), and stifled a whole section of the
> >programming community who would otherwise have contributed
> >to the growth of the
> product._______________________________________________

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris