hand cursor

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Fri Sep 17 10:14:15 EDT 2004

On Sep 17, 2004, at 6:08 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Maybe something simpler is in order:  new cursors use new IDs.

The spec as written doesn't overwrite any cursors (except by accident
as described previously). For the benefit of those who don't have
access, here is the meat of the spec:

1. Tuviah changes the engine to use a currently unused id as the
default browse cursor. Let's say it's 28, for the sake of discussion.
2. Likewise, Tuviah changes the engine to use another currently unused
id as the default edit cursor. Let's say it's 29.
3. We leave 28 alone -- no image id 28.
4. We create an edit pointer and assign it id 29. So far the consensus
seems to be a hollow arrow, by the way. We duplicate this image and
give the duplicate an id of 30.
5. We create a preference setting to restore the original settings.
6. Setting the preference to original does two things: it deletes the
edit cursor image (id 29) and it duplicates the hand image, and gives
the duplicate an id of 28.
7. Setting the preference to standard does two things: it deletes image
id 28, and duplicates image id 30, and sets the duplicate's id to 29.

I'm sick, so it could be that Rev 2.5 doesn't match this. I don't think
they've implemented #5, 6, or 7. Also, obviously, ID 28 was just an
example, so some other ID would have to be used.

But items 1-4 the above should give this result:

First, there would be no difference between Revolution and MetaCard.
Behavior should be the same, and predictable, in both.

In Revolution or MetaCard, the default browse tool is the native arrow.
This is regardless of the defaultCursor. Setting the defaultCursor to
hand would cause the hand cursor to be used. Setting the cursor to hand
should display the hand. Setting the cursor to 8 should display the
hand.

If that breaks functionality, how?

Apart from the fact that they seem to have used 28 when they should
have used an unused ID, have they followed that spec?

regards,

Geoff Canyon
gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com