libUrl documentation and download

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 26 16:48:19 EDT 2004

Dave Cragg wrote:
> Hi
>
> Until the RunRev site has the libUrl documentation back up again, you
> can view it here:
>
> <http://www.lacscentre.co.uk/liburl/>

Excellent -- thank you!

> You can also get an updater for the latest version (1.1.1 or 1.0.16)
> there as well. (Note that the previously announced betas of these
> versions introduced a bug that might affect POST commands to some http
> servers. So anyone using those betas should probably upgrade.)
>
> The updater is semi-intelligent in that it will install the appropriate
> version for the engine you currently have installed. But if you later
> swap engines, and keep the same mctools.mc stack, you may end up with
> the wrong version. So it's probably best to keep the updater around, and
> run it again if you ever swap engines.
>
> As discussed before, I was thinking about a more intelligent version
> that would keep two library stacks in custom properties, and load the
> appropriate one with a libraryStack handler. But I'm currently against
> the idea for two reasons;
>
> 1.  It makes accessing/editing the script more difficult for developers,
> and I really want people to access the scripts and fix problems they find.
>
> 2.  It's quite possible that future versions of libUrl will introduce
> more new syntax from newer engines, and therefore we'll need an even
> smarter (thus bug-prone) loading system.
>
> But as always, I'm open to opinions.

It won't affect Rev folks, and it seems few MC users use the same copy
of mctools.mc across multiple engines, so it seems I may be the only one
affected.

Don't bother on my account. I need to build a libURL multi-loader for
myself anyway, and I'll happily share it if we can find anyone else who
would want it.

> PS  I just made a late booking for EuroRevCon, so looking forward to
> meeting those of you who'll be there.

So cool!  Glad you can make it.