tools stack version (2.6) doesn't match engine version

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 19 16:57:54 EDT 2004

Dr.John R.Vokey wrote:
>>> All,
>>>   I just installed the latest test version of the MC IDE for Mac OS X,
>>> and I get the (harmless) error in the subject line.
>>

>> That error comes from the Home stack.  To date we've only been working
>> on mctools.mc, and will revise the Home stack when the license scheme
>> changes (portions are locked so I'll have to get Scott Raney's
>> assistance).
>>
>> If you find it annoying you can remove that warning from your Home
>> stack.  The current plan is to make the MC IDE work with all engine
>> versions from the time it went open source to the present (that is, if
>> we can stay on top of the incompatibilities introduced by Rev's
>> stewardship of the engine).
 >
 > Thank you, Richard.  Does that mean that there will be scripted
 > versions of the engine changes to compensate for the use of an
 > older engine, or merely that the IDE will not rely on any of
 > these changes, or what?

Darned if I know. :)

At some point the license scheme will need to change in the engine, much
as it did under Raney's stewardship in years past.  At that time the
Home stack will need to be changed also, and either Raney will do that
himself or provide instruction for me or someone else to do it.

Ideally I'd like to do it in a way that doesn't have to be updated ever
again, but I can't say how it will be done yet as the nature of the next
licensing scheme has not been determined.

It may also become largely irrelevant if I can get a bug resolved in a
new plugin I'm making:  FlipsIDE will run within Rev and make it
possible to flip into other IDEs on the fly, including MetaCard's.  For
those of us who use MC most of the time anyway there will be a
preference to flip into one's preferred IDE automatically at startup.

So for modest downside of a couple extra seconds of boot time you'll
never have to dissect the IDE's OS X bundle to get setup ever again, nor
will the old MC Home stack ever come into play.

FlipsIDE is mosly functional now, but with a horrific hard crash that
prevents me from making it available.  If you flip into MC and back to
Rev, using the Message Box will bring the app to its knees in a most
horrible fashion (a single force-quit isn't enough, requiring two
force-quits to finally put it down).

Kevin has kindly offered to help me diagnose this bug, and hopefully
I'll be able to release FlipsIDE soon....