Security schemes for Players

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Oct 2 15:00:32 EDT 2004

Alejandro Tejada wrote:

>>I have a player which downloads stacks from a web
>>page. Here's how I do it:
>>I password protect my stacks
>>I create a custom control (btn,fld,img,etc..)
>>and set the script to a secret word only I know.

> Could this be used when several teachers are able
> to edit the stacks?

Interesting requirement. I suppose I would create a standalone which
would 'bless' stacks. Here's how it would work. When a teacher finishes
editing a stack, they drag/drop it on the 'Blesser.exe' standalone and
it would:

1) ask for a username/pass combo so we know it's a 'good' teacher
2) lock messages and looks for the custom object
3) if the custom object is there, then it would calculate a checksum for
the new stack and put the value of it somewhere in the script. You would
then use this checksum later on when trying to open the stack using your
player stack. This way a teacher couldn't make modifications to your
stack w/out having to 'reBless' it-- because any modification would
change the checkSum and then the player wouldn't recognize it as a good
stack.
4) save the stack and quit 'Blesser.exe'

function getChecksum pFilePath
   return URLencode(md5digest(URL ("binfile:" & pFilePath)))
end getChecksum

> Just one question.
>
> To read the script you have to unlock the stack
> script everytime you open the stack.
>
> When do you set the password again, so scripts
> are encoded again? Or is this not necessary?

In runtime mode, I wouldn't worry too much about this. In development
mode it's not a big problem either as the Blesser app described above
wouldn't let anyone change the stack and run it w/out being blessed.

>>You could also do something fancy with a
>>checksum function if you wanted.
>

> Like MD5digest, right?
> How fast is MD5digest in diverse machines?

See above. It's real fast for regular size stacks.
If a file is too large, consider breaking it up, or using external
reference paths to content (like movies, images, sounds).