MC IDE 2.6 - next steps

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu May 27 11:45:12 EDT 2004

Ken Ray wrote:

>>Should I proceed with a change from opening as toplevel to simply
>>opening in the stack's native mode?
>>
>>Should we leave it as it is for v2.6b6 and decide later?
>
> I suggest leaving it alone for the standard "Open" (i.e. open as toplevel),
> and if the optionKey is held down when selecting Open that the stack is
> opened in its native mode.

Hmmm, such a hidden option -- while a good compromise, would not likely
be used.  If it's strongly desired I'll add it, but I'm inclined to let
the issue go.

>>2. HyperCard-style script access
>>--------------------------------
>>Tariel Gogoberidze suggested a modification to allow quick
>>script access
>>in browse mode (see
>><http://www.mail-archive.com/metacard@lists.runrev.com/msg1058
>>8.html>).
>>  Jacque uses a similar method, and while I haven't I see the
>>value of
>>it and would probably use it if it were available.
>>
>>Please review Tariel's suggestion and post whether you feel
>>it should be
>>added or not.
>
> I like the idea, however it does have the issue with interfering with stacks
> that may want to use command-option-click to mean something. Granted it's in
> the minority, and so I'd suggest implementing it, but with a note in the
> Read Me that provides the caveat.

Ideally it should not affect stack behavior, as it would take place in a
backscript.

But that would still leave it vulnerable to the subset of people who
both need to trap that key combination and who want a different behavior.

Hmmmmm....

It doesn't affect me since I generally access scripts through one of my
own tools, so in light of the point you raise I'm inclined to decline,
and just suggest those who needed it continue doing what they were doing.

>>3. Help->Support...
>>-------------------
>>The Help->Support item currently opens a form that sends a message to
>>Scott Raney, but of course now that the IDE is open source
>>Scott doesn't
>>provide support for it.
>>
>>We can either remove the menu item (my lazy preference), or
>>one of you
>>can write a replacement stack explaining that support is available
>>through this mailing list.
>>
>>What do you think is most appropriate option for an IDE with 28 users?
>
> Remove it. The reason I say this, is that for anyone who uses Rev who wants
> to shift to MetaCard, they have to go to this group to get the IDE in the
> first place, so they already know there are people available to talk to if
> there are issues.

My thinking exactly.  Any reason from the rest of you why we should
replace it rather than just remove it that Ken and I overlooked?

> On final suggestion: could future versions of the IDE be posted as .zip
> instead of .sit? This would make it easier for Windows users to access the
> IDE, and wouldn't hamper Mac users.

Of the available compression methods I'm not aware of any that retain
Mac metadata (Finder info).  Given that Stuffit is freely available for
both Mac and Win it seemed a decent solution.

Perhaps better would be a Rev stack that handles installation and engine
copying for you, using compressed data in custom properties for storage.
  Anyone got time to write that?