Open as palette

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue May 18 09:46:59 EDT 2004

>>> Personall I would consider that a bug, but others might prefer that
>>> the IDE's File->Open open things for editing.
>>>
>>> What's the general opinion among users here?  Should we change the
>>> behavior?
>>>

>> I think the effect may be a factor of the exact way the stack is being
>> open.
>
> Correct:  if it's not honoring the stack's style property then it seems
> that it's opening the stack using one of the modality commands
> (specifically "toplevel").
>
> So the question for the crew here is:  Is it better to have the IDE
> honor the stack's style or override it and open the stack in a specific
> mode.

Personally, I've had a difficult time trying to open, for example, stacks
that are supposed to be palettes and have them display as palettes
immediately when they are open.  I either had to try to save them with the
visible set to false, open them, change their style which (I think) then
causes them to become visible, or try opening them off screen.  As I recall,
it was a chore.  Maybe I wasn't doing things correctly, but I think
saving/honoring the stack's style is a good thing.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Development & Design