CircusTux is ready!

M. en T.E. Alejandro Diaz Infante linux at enmac.net
Sat May 1 10:07:54 EDT 2004

I just finished a preview release of a small MetaCard program.

CircusTux is a math multimedia game for children in first grade of elementary
school. It has 3 initial modules, each one subdivided in 9 variants. I plan
to populate the program with more modules as time passes. Of course that if
you  really enjoy the program,  feel free to add your own modules, or modify
the current ones. The program has an open source license.

It currently runs in English, Spanish and French, although is VERY easy to
add more languages. Your language is not included? Just open the last card of
every stack, and you'll find there fields with localization strings. Copy and
Paste one of the columns, add your language preffix to the name of the
fields, and add your language to the fields and the language dialog. That's
it. (Well, the only *real* chore is that you'd have to record your voice in
the places where Tux, the circus presenter, talks. Check the sound files that
end with a language preffix to see which sounds would be required. Don't
worry, if you record and send me your voice files, I'll gladly add the music
background to them  :)  )

Are you ready? you can download it from http://enmac.seul.org/download/
circus.tar.gz (Beware! it is a bit hefty: about 60 MB).

To run the program:

1. Enter the circus directory
2. Invoke the circus executable file.

The circus executable is only for Linux, but I'm curious about how would this
game run in other platforms, especially OSX. If you want to run the program
and don't have Linux, launch MetaCard and open the file named circus.source
(it is the stack of the circus executable).

You should hear background music AND sound effects in the program. If you run
into trouble with the sounds, read troubleshooting.txt file (located in
circus directory). I had a lot of troubles making it work in Linux!

System Requirements for the Linux version:

1. PC with PIII, equivalent or better, with at least 64MB RAM.
2. Any distro based on Linux Intel 2.x.
3. Video card with support for 16bpp (24bpp recommended).
4. To have xanim installed (WARNING: without xanim installed CircusTux will
not have any sound!)
5. Audio card and/or sound server with support for 2 simultaneous audio
sources (see troubleshooting.txt for more information).

M. en T.E. Alejandro Diaz Infante
Head of Computer Development Department
ENMAC
http://enmac.seul.org