alwaysBuffer not set...

Wouter wouter.abraham at pi.be
Wed Jul 21 13:10:12 EDT 2004

> Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
> Tue Jul 20 19:55:43 EDT 2004

> Alain Farmer wrote:
>
> > Wouter wrote:
> >> I look at MC and RR as stacks interacting with
> >> an engine ... but the impression is growing that
> >> what is called the engine, is something composed
> >> of stacks and the engine. Where are the borders
> >> between the IDE, stacks and the engine?
> >
> > Very *VERY* good point, Wouter.
> >
> > Where is it? .. indeed!
>
> The engine is the executable file that drives everything, which gets
> bound to your stackfile when building a standalone.

That is also my understanding of *the engine*

> The engine has no "face" of its own; that is, it has no windows or
> other
> visible UI components of its own.  It has only the Transcript
> interpreter and a handful of data resources the interpeter needs (such
> as the list of color names, month names, etc.).
>
> Any visible element, such as a window, menu, etc., is part of the IDE.

But it is the engine that provides them according to it's own drawing
routines or calls to the system it thrives on.

> One of the reasons you may need to use the Resource Mover to copy the
> Ask and Answer dialogs and other components into your stack before
> building is that they live in mctools.mc.  Once your stack is a
> standalone it no longer has access to stacks in mctools.mc.

Being used to resourceforks the older Mac programmers had to redefine
the word *resource mover* :^)

-- snip

> So when it comes to the template objects, those are handled by the
> engine.  It is possible, however, for any script to modify the
> properties of a template object so that any future objects created will
> have that property, which appears to be what the Rev IDE is doing with
> graphics.

I agree that they are handled or used by the engine.
But the question still remains: where are those default template
objects physically (it's data) stored?
In the binary of the engine or in the binary of one or more stacks?
(I really should learn how to express myself, grmbl)

> If you want to see the default engine properties reflected in newly
> created objects you can use the reset command, like this:
>
>    reset the templateButton
>    reset the templateStack
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin