proposal: revAppVersion = 0

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jul 19 17:39:49 EDT 2004

As I've written here before, in general I have no interest in adding Rev
glue routines to the IDE.  We choose to work in MC when we want only
built-in messages and built-in properties, and anything not in the
engine is of our own making, completely under our control.

That said, it occurs to me that it's difficult for a script to determine
whether it's running in the Rev IDE or the MC IDE, which may be
especially useful when making plugins for use in both.

Of course, the Pure Transcript approach will avoid that altogether:
know the engine, trust the engine, use the engine, and all will always
work everywhere.

But for folks that work in both from time to time there may be useful
reasons for using some Rev libraries, and if so there should be a simple
and reliable way to determine whether the Rev IDE is present.

So I'm proposing that I add this very simple function the the MC IDE
backscript:

function revAppVersion
    return "0"
end revAppVersion

This function follows the convention established by the qtVersion
function, returning a version number if present (this function is
available in the Rev IDE) or "0" if not.

It's only three lines, and doesn't add any new messages or properties.

Shall I add it?