messed up custom menus

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jul 12 09:00:59 EDT 2004

Klaus Major wrote:

> Hi MetaCarders,
>

> strange things happen here...
>
> Sometimes my custom menus (especially the EDIT) are messed up somehow
> with the
> MC Edit menu...
>
> This is how my EDIT menu looks like
>
> ########################
> Cu&t/X
> &Copy/C
> &Paste/V
> -
> Preferences
> ########################
>
> But sometimes i get this and errors if i don't change MY menu again :-(
> Simply when switching from pointer to browse tool...
>
> ########################
> Cu&t/X
> &Copy/C
> &Paste/V
> -
> Preferences
>

> (
> &Backgrounds.../T
> ########################
>
> ?????
> Part of the MC Edit menu...
>
> Any hints what might happen?
>

> Found something in the script of grp "MetaCard Menu Bar":
>
> on mousedown
> setupedit
> ##!! Looks like this is the one...
>

> Any hints on what to change so i can use my own "Edit" menu?

Without seeing the code you're using to modify your Edit menu I can only
guess, but in the past I've found that routines which modify menu
buttons by referring to them as "menu" will work on the currently active
menu bar objects, which may not necessarily be what I want.

For example, if I need to update the contents of my own Edit menu I sued
to write:

   put tMyMenuContents into menu "Edit"

But I found that if my update occurs when MC's menubar is the
defaultMennuBar, I'll wind up modifying that one rather than my own.

So these days I tend toward very explicit references:

   put tMyMenuContents into btn "Edit" of stack "MyMenuBar"