MC IDE, FreeGUI and an xCard job

Huisingh, Larry R Larry_R_Huisingh at RL.gov
Thu Jan 15 09:15:53 EST 2004

> Something wonderful has happened to me/us this week.
> I've got a paying customer who wants to invest in the
> development of a MetaCard-based authoring system like
> MetaCard or RunRev, but it has to be even simpler than both
> of these. Given that I'm the author of the current
> incarnation of FreeGUI, e.g. a MetaCard-based clone of
> HyperCard, it should not be surprising that I suggested
> FreeGUI to this customer. He accepted! This means that he
> will be investing money in the development of FreeGUI to make
> it useable and easy enough for this customer's target
> audience : administrators, teachers and students in 500
> schools in Quebec. No, it's not a typo, nor is it a mistake
> ... *500* schools will be using it as early as this coming
> summer (thousands of teachers and students). A total
> breakthrough!  :))

Will this be one application on one server or 500 separate installations.
If it's the latter I assume that the customer will have to pay for 500
engine licenses, correct?  The GUI may be free but doesn't the engine have
to be paid for?  I know some development tools specifically state you can't
develop a product that is basically the same as the development tool.  Does
that apply in this case?

Larry Huisingh