MC IDE, FreeGUI and an xCard job

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 14 21:24:17 EST 2004

Alain Farmer wrote:
> I've got a paying customer who wants to invest in the
> development of a MetaCard-based authoring system like
> MetaCard or RunRev, but it has to be even simpler than
> both of these. Given that I'm the author of the
> current incarnation of FreeGUI, e.g. a MetaCard-based
> clone of HyperCard, it should not be surprising that I
> suggested FreeGUI to this customer. He accepted! This
> means that he will be investing money in the
> development of FreeGUI to make it useable and easy
> enough for this customer's target audience :
> administrators, teachers and students in 500 schools
> in Quebec. No, it's not a typo, nor is it a mistake
> ... *500* schools will be using it as early as this
> coming summer (thousands of teachers and students). A
> total breakthrough!  :))

Especially for RunRev Ltd.   500 site licenses for the engine will be very
welcome there, and the visibility benefits us all.  Congratulations.

> * FreeGUI and MC-IDE have a similar goal : to develop
> and maintain a free open-source alternative IDE for
> the MC-engine. Our efforts could therefore be
> coordinated in order to synergize both our projects,
> or merged together to form ONE stronger project.

My six-month tenure as poohbah ends on Groundhog Day (2 Feb), but whether
I'm re-elected or the crew here opts for fresher blood I'm sure the
community recognizes the value of such synergy.

How this project coordinates with the needs of MC IDE audience will of
course depend on the details of your design.  But the spirit of sharing is
appreciated, and if the open source license chosen for you project will be
as liberal as the X11 license which governs the MC IDE itself I'm happy to
help with such coordination if I can, whether as poohbah or in any other
contributor role.

> Please mail your comments [about MC-IDE and FreeGUI
> integration]
If at all possible I think there may be benefit in maintaining discussion of
the MC IDE here on this list, honoring the vote on such discussion held here
back in August.

Of course anything that doesn't affect future possible changes to the MC IDE
should be discussed freely in any appropriate forum.  But for those things
which may affect the design of the MC IDE, maintaining such discussion here
allows the community to make informed decisions about their environment.