Intelligent Agents......

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Fri Feb 13 17:13:58 EST 2004

On Feb 13, 2004, at 8:01 AM, xbury.cs at clearstream.com wrote:

> http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Feb/02082004/business/136566.asp
>
> food for RunRev thoughts....

Interesting!

Kind of surprising a lot of the claims that are being made in there. I
believe however, that particular kind of AI is fundamentally limited:
Humans have awareness and understanding as a consequence of our
embodied physical existence. At the lowest level, all our concepts and
metaphors are understood in terms of the physical embodiment of our
bodies. Therefore to create a comparable artificial brain, first a
comparable artificial body would have to be created. Bots like
Terminator, "Data", C3PO and R2D2 are not foreseeable. See the books
_The Embodied Mind_ and _Women Fire and Dangerous Things_ for the
scientific proofs that our awareness and understanding directly arise
from physical embodiment and our (uniquely) human interaction with the
environment.

OTO if that article is not stretching the truth then maybe there are
Terminator Bots already created, ready to break out of some US Army
facility somewhere, then maybe I will buy a Sidearm HERF Gun instead of
a new Mac G5 ;-) <http://liun.hektik.org/hightech/herf/herf.html>

Some of you know already that I wrote a CLIPS external for runrev.
CLIPS can be very useful for creating domain-specific expert systems or
Rule-based "AI" as opposed to kind of connectionist-evolutionary AI
like that article discusses.
   <http://mindlube.com/developer/revclips/>

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com