Mail

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 15:39:34 EST 2004

The goal:

1.  Get Name - User fills out a form on a web page, or types the data
into a text box in Metacard, or whatever
2.  The Name gets checked against an online list to make sure it exists there
3.  The name gets emailed to me, and posted somewhere online, on a
different list or text file
4.  Metacard goes to the newly updated file and verifies that the
name was indeed entered there

The emailing must happen automatically, as it must be guaranteed that
I am emailed.  I don't know of a way to use the standard emailing
routines that open the user's email program, and have any sort of
guarantee they actually sent it.  So it must happen behind the scenes.

I tried every whichway to get libSMTP and libEmail to do it, to no
avail.  No email goes out to me.  I don't know if the stacks only
work in Revolution, or what.

So I tried setting up a form on my web page via CGI, Metacard can
take them to that form and they can fill it out.  Trouble so far is
that either I can get the form to update the info on a web page, but
not email me.  Or I can get the form to email me, but not update the
data of a web page.  It needs to be both so that I can verify that
they did indeed enter their name as it appears on my list.

Any suggestions?

(Specific suggestions...  with actual usable code for either
Metacard, SMTP, or CGI much appreciated.)

--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--
http://www.gypsyware.com