devolution available

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Mon Dec 13 22:58:28 EST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> I must be slow:  I thought this was an engine bug, no?  If it is I'd
> rather fix it in the engine than patch the IDE and then patch it back
> once the engine is fixed.  If this is not an engine problem then I'll
> drop in the patch code, but if it's not then why was it working before?
>
> If it is a bug, what's the Bugzilla number so we can vote on it?
>
> -- Richard Gaskin Fourth World Media Corporation

Richard,

I did not start this thematic thread, which began on September 9th under
subject "Controll Browser" (two "l"s) and was then continued by myself
as "Display of groups in Control Browser" on Nov 25th. So I was
wondering if any of the participants had filed a bug report - after a
search in the Bug database this does not seem to be the case.

So I - today - filed the report "Display of grouped controls in Metacard
Control Browser" as Bugzilla 2471

It was established during the discussion that the problem is indeed due
to an engine bug.

However, I do not think that going through the Bugzilla-voting process
would lead to a timely solution. Who of the Revolution clientele could
be interested in the Metacard Control Browser?

Those of us - the Metacard aficionados - that are nearer to the inner
core of the Revolution team (and there seem to be some of us) should
approach those people directly for a quick engine fix  (Tuviah?).

Like many of us I have added my own tools for developing to the MC IDE,
too. Among those tools I use my MC-Browser - now three years old - (and
Rev-Browser) for more difficult tasks, using it especially for quick
searches through the scripts of a stack; this added functionality is
similar to the field-search tool of my stack "Topsearch" (formerly to be
found under Rev "User Contributions", now downloadable from my
"MetaMedia" website <www.sanke.org>, page "Tools for Development".)

But the Metacard Control Browser is nevertheless still indispensable for
me - and my students - to quickly access (much more quickly than with
Rev tools) hidden controls and their properties or scripts while
developing. Therefore I added my proposed lines to the "refresh script",
because I cannot wait a couple of weeks until the engine bug could
possibly be fixed.

Kind regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<www.sanke.org>

P.S.. I wonder whether my "MetaMedia" website would qualify for an entry
among Richard's links - although it is not yet too complete and maybe
somewhat "Metacard-heavy"?