Desktop alias

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Fri Aug 6 17:54:23 EDT 2004

My standalone creates a desktop alias when first launched, however
the alias does not work.  Also, the alias is named GoldCarbonMach-0,
and I'd like it to be named Blackjack Gold.  This is for OSX.

Note:  Double clicking the alias nothing happens, not even a dialog
to find the original.  Get Info however, does show the correct
filepath to the original.

Have not tested Windows or PPC yet.

# create desktop alias
   set the itemDel to "/"
   put specialFolderPath(Desktop) & "/Blackjack Gold.lnk" into aliasName
   put the effective filename of stack "Blackjack Gold" into fileLocation
   put "Blackjack Gold alias" into nameIt
   if gPlat is "W" then # Windows
     create alias(aliasName) to file fileLocation

   else if gPlat is "X" then # OSX
     delete the last item of aliasName
     replace "/" with ":" in aliasName
     put ":" after aliasName # :Users:UserName:Desktop:
     replace "/" with ":" in fileLocation
     put "tell application" && q("Finder") & cr & \
         "set tFile to" && q(fileLocation) & cr & \
         "make alias file to tFile at" && q(aliasName) & cr & \
         "end tell" into tScript
     do tScript as AppleScript

   else if gPlat is "P" then # Mac Classic
     delete the last item of aliasName
     put " alias" after aliasName
     replace "/" with ":" in aliasName
     replace "/" with ":" in fileLocation
     create alias(aliasName) to file fileLocation
   end if
   set the itemDel to comma
   # end create alias

function q pWhat # put quotes around it