popup menu misbehavior

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 29 10:29:59 EDT 2004

Robert Brenstein wrote:

>>> Have anyone else noticed that in 2.6 the popup lists, for example the
>>> stack selector popup in the Control Browser, pop up an inch or so
>>> above the window? This happens only until I select anything from the
>>> menu. Then it pops up on top of the menu, where it should in the
>>> first place. This does not happen in 2.5.1.
>>>
>>> This is on OS9. Sounds like 2.6 has some problems with initial bahevior.
>>
>> I've been trying but have been unable to reproduce it.
>>
>> Is it happening consistently for you?
>> Is this in the Classic layer under OS X, or when booting into 9 natively?
>
> Boot into OS9.
>
> Yes, it is quite consistent. Try the following
>
> launch MC 2.5.1
> open the Control Browser from the menu
> in 2.5.1 the window is full-screen heigh and right-aligned (not as
> earlier), so I resize it to be smaller vertically and wider horizontally
> after resizing, click the popup to change the stack
> the list shows up about an inch too high

I have something running on my old Mac which will prevent me from
booting into OS 9 for a bit, but the issue doesn't appear while running
Classic layer under OS X.

This may be less of a problem with B2 and B3, as I changed the way the
Conrol Browser works to use a true popup menu rather than the older
method of using a popup menu stack.  The popup stack has a limit on the
number of lines it will show, so if you have a lot of windows open some
of them won't be listed in earlier versions.  This has now been fixed
there, and in the Main Stack and Stack Files dialogs (as noted in the
Version History in the Licensing window).

There's a good argument for making this change throughout the IDE, but
frankly I don't use large portions of it so in keeping with the mandate
to make as few changes as possible I only modify issues as they are
reported or as I come across them.

The limit on the number of stacks has not been reported by others
before, but if it annoys you're welcome to modify other places the stack
names list appears. Just please let me know if you do so I can avoid
work in those areas (it's easy for me to replace substacks in the IDE
but I'd prefer to not integrate changes from multiple sources on a
single substack).

Please let me know if you see the problem in B2 or B3.  Since we're now
using native option controls it may be an engine bug if it still persists.