new OSX installs

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Thu Apr 29 13:39:46 EDT 2004

>>But, Richard, there is NO older bundle. You somehow missed that I
>>am talking about installing on a computer that has never had
>>MetaCard on it.
>
>That's one of the reasons I've been taking a poll to measure usage
>patterns (everyone here please vote at
><http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MC_IDE/surveys?id=11737473> if you
>haven't done so already).
>
>Only a third of the members of the group have voted, so it's hard to
>say if things have changed much since the acquisition of the MC
>engine by RR.
>
>From what I can tell nearly everyone using the MC IDE has had a copy
>of MC from before the acquisition.  I've seen a number of former MC
>users switch to the Rev IDE, but am not familiar with any Rev users
>switching to MC.  That may explain why it's been nearly a year and
>the issue hasn't come up before.
>
>If someone wants to put together the appropriate plist, resources,
>and other bundle components needed with some instructions on putting
>them to use it would make a nice addition to the file repository.
>
>--
>  Richard Gaskin

Well, the poll results go only so far as they apply to existing
installations. I got a new MC license for a client. The client failed
to install it following the instructions. I found that the problem
was them lacking an old OSX bundle, a situation not mentioned in the
instructions, which prompted my post. I do not have such a bundle
either as I use MC under OS9 (and will be in the same situation when
finally upgrade to OSX).

I can't see OSX 2.5 install on Mark's mirror, so I used 2.4.3 version
to start with. The upgrade to 2.5.1 works fine except that the name
of the executable within the bundle is different.

I think it would be reasonable to add a sentence about new installs
for OSX and a link to Mark's web site as a resource.

Robert Brenstein