Plug ins in MC 2.6b1

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Tue Apr 27 13:59:13 EDT 2004

>Just as a data point, I've been using the revised IDE since it was
>released and I haven't had any problems with plugins. I tried it
>with both an empty folder and then with some of my tools in it. I've
>only really used it on OS X Jaguar though. Haven't moved it to any
>other machines yet.

I was running under OS9. I will investigate the issue further after
work tonight. I mean the missing slash issue. This issue aside,
however, the thrust of my report was to make the plugin loading
process less error prone, I mean disruptable.

At the moment, we have very few plugins and they are reliable. But
having a plugin generate an error is quite likely, be it a new plugin
we develop or a plugin from someone else we try.

>Is there a way to set whether a plugin actually loads at startup or
>not? I was wondering if I could store things in the folder without
>automatically loading them.

I have suggested earlier to allow activating/deactivating plugins in
the plugin manager. Plugins marked as inactive would have been simply
skipped over during initiation.

Hopefully, this feature will make it into one of the later versions.
I consider it quite important.

It could be implemented simply as an extra column with a checkmark
(and vertical line separator) and a checkbox parallel to open/library
checkboxes.

Robert Brenstein