IAC and Named pipes

Huisingh, Larry R Larry_R_Huisingh at RL.gov
Mon Apr 26 11:57:10 EDT 2004

> OK - can we take another tack? What we are looking for here is very fast
> and secure communication between a web server process and a Revolution
> daemon. In our case this is between python / zope and  rev, Pierre has
> the set up running with php - but using the accept command which seems
> to be open to dos attacks unless you site your server behind your own
> firewall.... the other way I can think of doing this is by using named
> pipes - which AFAIK are very fast way to achieve IAC on Linux.. From an
> earlier post Larry Huisingh indicates that he used this method on
> Windows (non 9x).
>
> >We communicate using named pipes between programs we wrote in house.
> >We have a couple of C/C++ programs that communicate with our MC app using

> >standard Windows API named pipe functions.  You read/write to named pipes

> >the way you read/write to files.  FWIW Visual Basic also supports named
> >pipes (we use that language in our system also).
> >
> >Named pipes is not a tool to use to communicate with canned
> >applications (e.g. Word, Excel, etc.).  I might be able to answer
> >specific questions you might have.  One specific caveat - As far as
> >Windows versions go you can only create a named pipe on Windows
> >NT/2000/XP.  Windows 9x won't do that. We are using Windows 2000 Server
> >and Professional.
> >
> >This may not be the solution you all were looking for but it works well
> >for us.
> >
> >Larry Huisingh

Just so you know regarding using named pipes in MC (on Win32):  We are using
externals to do the communicating.  We created a DLL based on the externals
code supplied with MC.  When I said in the quoted section above "You
read/write to named pipes the way you read/write to files" that is to say in
terms of C/C++ calls.  That is not to say you use native MC commands.  We
created commands that opened a named pipe, closed it, read to it and wrote
to it.  Creating externals is a very powerful feature.  If MC can't do it
natively you can probably do it in an external.

Larry Huisingh