Yahoo Group changes

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri Apr 2 19:23:24 EST 2004

>Since most discussion on the IDE takes place here anyway (as
>requested by vote here last Augist), it seemed reasonable enough to
>just explicitely depricate the message board section of the Yahoo
>group and provide a pointer here.  I've left the few messages that
>have been posted there available for reading, but there's not much
>earth-shattering among them and if you feel it's simpler to turn off
>the message board altogether I can do that.

Seem like reasonable changes to me. It seems that only 19 posts this
year and 19 last year remain, so it would seem that the list could be
shut down completely to simplify things further. If there are any
useful posts, they could be reposted on this list for archiving.

>While I was at it I also changed permissions on file uploads:  to
>protect the integrity of files being distributed there, only
>moderators can upload.

Makes sense. However, the info in "Moderators Welcome" states that
everyone can download the files, whereas in fact, one has to sign in
to access the file area. As a member of the group, I can't check
whether one has to be a member or just signing to yahoo is enough.

>As noted at the site, anyone with a sincere interest in becoming a
>moderator can just drop an email to Jacque or myself and we can
>raise their membership.  I just wanted to avoide the potential for a
>random passerby to post mischievious files named things like "MC 2.6
>Official Release".

Yes, there should be only a limited number of people allowed to post.
Most of us have own websites that can be used for posting work in
progress as well.

>Please take review the page and let me know if you feel further
>changes should be made.

There is an extra "p": "you'll need to place" not "you'll need to placed".

Robert