MC IDE - developer tool additions - sugggestion

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 1 07:38:49 EST 2004

Robert Brenstein wrote:

> I looked at the two plugin tests and I feel more comfortable with
> Richard's. Being able to specify custom location of the plugins folder
> will be a handy addition. Actually, I would like for IDE to check both
> its local plugins folder (for plugins that are specific for this
> version) and my custom plugin folder (for plugins that are universal).
>
> However, it seems to me that the plugins menu is essentially just a
> convinience launchpad for various utility stacks. I'd like to see also
> an option for plugin in library stacks. I mean stacks that IDE
> automatically starts using when it launches. This could be easily
> addressed by having a parallel "library" folder or by requiring
> libraryStack handler present in the card script.
>
> Libary stacks should be included in the plugin menu but probably after a
> separator line to distinguish them from others.
>
> This functionality would also allow us to have active plugins, plugins
> that modify the IDE in some active (but non-permanent) way: since the
> starts using sends a message, we can use it to activate the required
> features.

Agreed on all front, and in progress:

In addition to the ability to select an arbitrary folder, the Plugins
Manager window will allow you to auto-open any stack within it.  If you
want a "Class 3" plugin you can do in the card script:

   on preopenStack
      start using this stack
      pass preOpenStack
   end preOpenStack

The simplicity of the engine is a beautiful thing.