Interim language guide solution

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Sep 15 07:37:00 EDT 2003

Robert Brenstein wrote:

>> Richard had also raised copyright questions, which indeed did not stop
>> him from extracting the text contents and more of the Dictionary.
>>
>> I think there are two arguments that may rule out any copyright
>> problems:
>>
>> 1. To use Revolution and/or Metacard or any part of it you need to have
>> a valid license, either a Revolution license or a Metacard license.
>> After July 2004 - at least - all Metacard licenses will have expired, so
>> all of us will then hold a Revolution license of some kind.
>
> Yes, but the latter is not quite correct. We may be expected to get a
> Rev license after July 2004 but we are not required, and some people
> may choose to continue without a valid license.

Even if you use the MC IDE, why pass up new engine features?  You can get
both formats of the license key if you wish; at the moment the Rev key is
sent by default, with the MC key sent on request.

>> 2. As early as during the first development period of Revolution - I
>> belong to the crowd of enthusiastic beta testers (before Revolution went
>> public) - Kevin Miller had stated that the Revolution IDE will remain
>> fully customizable like Metacard with the exception of the home/license
>> stack.
>>
>> The conclusion then can only be that all contents of the Revolution IDE
>> and all scripts in the IDE can be used and freely modified by any
>> licensed user,  meaning also anybody who likes to adapt the Metacard IDE
>> to the present and future enhancements of the functionality of
>> Revolution.
>>
> Being able to modify for your own usage is one thing, but MC IDE is a
> parallel environment, to some degree "competing" with Rev IDE. WHat I
> mean is that MC IDE development is not exactly governed by normal
> end-user license as far as I see.

It can't "compete" by definition: the money you pay to for the engine goes
to one company, no matter which IDE you use, even one you built yourself.
On the extremely odd chance that the MC IDE had 90% of the Transcript
audience (instead of the opposite which is the case today) I'm sure Rev
would welcome sales of their product driven by an IDE it neither has to
support or maintain. ;)