Interim language guide solution

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri Sep 12 18:11:17 EDT 2003

Returning to my computer after a three days' absence I very much  like
to join the queue of people congratulating Ruchard on his
"FWTranscriptDictionary". I think that for most of us it is more of a
"final" language guide solution.

The FWTranscriptDictionary is only 2.5 MB, whereas my modified Rev
Transcript Dictionary for use with Metacard (see my post "Using the
Transcript Dictionary in Mc" of Tuesday) comprises 4.9 MB (including the
Docs Library, a modified preference stack, a substack with the special
icons, the glossary stack and the quick reference stack).

The functionality of my modified Transcript Dictionary under Metacard is
identical to that of the Dictionary in the Rev IDE with the exception of
the printing option (which could also be added).

The modified "search card" of the revdocumentation stack is another 200
K.

As this "Metacard Transcript Dictionary" is fully functional - I have
integrated it into my Metacard Menu Bar, alongside with Richards "slim"
and quick (and very creative) solution - I could offer the stack to be
uploaded to the new Metacard IDE site. Anybody interested could have a
look how it was done or even use it with the original "Rev
functionality".-

Richard had also raised copyright questions, which indeed did not stop
him from extracting the text contents and more of the Dictionary.

I think there are two arguments that may rule out any copyright
problems:

1. To use Revolution and/or Metacard or any part of it you need to have
a valid license, either a Revolution license or a Metacard license.
After July 2004 - at least - all Metacard licenses will have expired, so
all of us will then hold a Revolution license of some kind.

2. As early as during the first development period of Revolution - I
belong to the crowd of enthusiastic beta testers (before Revolution went
public) - Kevin Miller had stated that the Revolution IDE will remain
fully customizable like Metacard with the exception of the home/license
stack.

The conclusion then can only be that all contents of the Revolution IDE
and all scripts in the IDE can be used and freely modified by any
licensed user,  meaning also anybody who likes to adapt the Metacard IDE
to the present and future enhancements of the functionality of
Revolution.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke