Open Source Licence (LGPL or GPL)

David Bovill david at anon.nu
Thu Sep 11 05:26:00 EDT 2003

Dave Cragg wrote:

> One possible problem not discussed so far is the inclusion of libUrl
> with the IDE. The same (identical) library script is distributed with
> Rev, and I don't imagine they would like it to be covered by any of the
> more restrictive licenses. (And I don't suppose it could be.) The status
> of libUrl is not entirely clear, but when it was first started, I know
> Scott saw it as a public domain library. RunRev subsequently took over
> responsibility (and sponsorship) of the library. I can't see RunRev
> agreeing to a GPL kind of license for libUrl at least.

Good point. RunRev do not have a clear policy regarding these libraries
(which is one reason i think there are not more quality user contributed
libraries). They *should* at some time take a hard look at this, but
right now my guess is they've got other things on their plate. This is a
loss to the community, which I am sure they would be more than happy for
us to take an initiative on.

> (By the way, I'll continue to make any updates for libUrl available for
> the MC IDE. I guess these will continue to be posted on the RunRev site,
> but when a site is finally settled for the MC IDE, I suppose that would
> be a more appropriate location.)

It would seem clear to me that if the MC IDE is open source and the MC
IDE contains as is libURL then libURL is open source - we just need to
decide on a license. Dave if you are making user contributions to libURl
and not signing over copyright to RunRev for each change then this can
cause a problem for RunRev over who owns the copyright of the aggregate
work. A clear open source licence protects RunRev and us from these type
of issues.