Open Source Licence (LGPL or GPL)

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Sep 9 18:30:00 EDT 2003

>Robert Brenstein wrote:
>
>>  Well, there is a consensus that the IDE should be available for
>>  downloads separately from engines, so you are inline with others
>>  here. However, there were a couple suggestions to have engines
>>  (separately from IDE) for downloads from SourceForge. This will allow
>>  us to keep an archive of older engines and avoid potential troubles
>>  when Rev updates the engine but for whatever reason MC IDE should
>>  continue to be used with the previous version of the engine. It is
>>  not likely scenerio but surely plausible, particularly during
>>  transition periods. One should keep in mind that each version of MC
>>  IDE is coupled to the engine through version number check, so each
>>  engine update will require modification to IDE.
>
>The version-checking in the IDE can (and arguably should) change.

Yes, but can we program it with clear conscience to accept future
releases of the engine without testing first?

>There's already an archive of engines out there.  I have no trouble linking
>to it, but would prefer not to have to maintain such an archive myself if
>possible.
>
>--
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation
>  Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any Web site

I am not sure that there is anything to maintaining such an archive.
You put a file on the server and that's it. Anyway, we do NOT have to
have it. We are talking about an option to have it should we
want/need it in the future. In other words, it would be nice if the
licensing did not preclude that for no justifiable reason.

BTW, the only archive I am aware of is at Mark Talluto's site, and
may or may not be there for ever. MC and Rev have offered only the
latest version so far. Besides, they do not offer just engines but
full packages for download.

Robert