MC IDE's home

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Sep 7 21:33:00 EDT 2003

Update
------
I asked Scott if we could have an FTP account set up for the IDE project at
metacard.com.  While that won't work, he suggested setting the project up at
SourceForge.net.  In accordance with his wishes, I'll set up the project's
home there as soon as we get a copy of mctools.mc with an updated About box
to reflect the new Open Source license.  At this time I do not know which
Open source license he'll choose.

For MC IDE Contributors
-----------------------
If you'd like to contribute to work on the MC IDE, set up an account at
<http://sourceforge.net>.  I just did it, and thankfully it's a short form
with a convenient confirmation process.  We may need figure out if there
should be limitations of who would have access privileges to the project
page, and personally I'm inclined to trust people's professionalism not to
screw anything up and give access to anyone I know who wants it.  Would that
be appropriate?

For MC IDE Users
----------------
Scott has agreed to add a page at metacard.com at which we can provide links
to the project.  The URL has not been determined at this time -- should we
consider using simply <http://www.metacard.com/ide>?  Also, it would seem
helpful if that page included links to download the latest release version,
the latest test version, and to the SourceForge project page itself.
Anything else that should be on that page?

Next Steps
----------
I've acting as a sort of interim coordinator simply because some ongoing
discussions of bugs and related issues with Scott made it convenient to ask
him for these details to get the thing rolling.  We should probably decide
how and by whom changes will be made going forward.

As a starting point I'm inclined to suggest that a project leader be
selected by vote and that person be responsible for changes.  Any work could
be done by others, but the leader would be reponsible for reviewing and
posting changes.

The thread on Message Box positioning seems a good model:  a change is
proposed here, views heard, a summary posted and if there is no strong
opposition to that summary the majority's preference would be implemented.
Does that seem desirable?  If not, by what other process should changes be
approved?

In summary our two immediate questions are:

- Who wants to act as project leader for the next six months?

- By what process should changes be decided on?