10000 fields and crash

sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sat Oct 4 17:43:03 EDT 2003

 jbv wrote:

"Hi list,

I have a stack with only 1 card, and 10,000 fields
on that card. I can modify these fields without any
problem (resize them, change location and content, etc)
but when I save the stack, MC crashes (freezes).

So my question is not whether it is wise to have so many
controls on 1 card, but what can be the reason of the
crash ?
I have the feeling I've reached a limit, but which one ?

I'm running MC 2.4.1 on Mac OS9, MC memory space
is set to 60 Mb and there's 1 Gb of free space on the HD...

Thanks,
JB"

I have also used cards with 10000 and more controls  on it as a main part of a
stack to create and manipulate colorpatterns.

I have never experienced crashes.

What happens is a slowing down of the scripted creation, when you first design
your color-field matrix - for numbers above 2000 - even if you create them first
invisibly and only after that show them.

Also, to navigate to a card with 10000 controls takes a few seconds (in my case
on an older 800 MHz computer).

Given the configuration of my main computer I have settled for a resolution with
2700 color fields (a matrix of 45 * 60) along with 300 additional controls (to
manipulate the color values) that work with an acceptable speed with Metacard
2.4.2 through 2.5.1B3.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke