10000 fields and crash

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 4 17:43:00 EDT 2003

>Saving a stack with 1000 empty flds produces a 60 Kb file.
>But to my BIG surprise, saving that stack takes about TWO
>MINUTES (at least on a PowerMac G3-300) !!!!!
>And a stack with 2000 flds produces a 112 Kb file, but saving
>it takes about 9 minutes !!!!
>So, when attempting to save a stack with 10000 flds, I don't
>think it crashes nor freezes the app : it just takes forever !!!!

Me again... same results.

The stacks I have with big overhead, lots of sounds and graphics,
also take a long time to save, and forever to quit Metacard.  Just a
simple "quit" with no quit handler, using whatever Metacard does to
quit, can take forever.  And I'm on a G-3, 350 mhz, 128 MB ram
(though probably beefed up with virtual memory on).

I've also noticed that after quitting Metacard when the stack has
huge overhead, something stays in the computer's memory, because I
often have to reboot to get the computer to quit hanging.  Whatever
MC does during quit that takes so long with many sounds/graphics, or
many embedded objects (like 1000 fields full of data, maybe 2000
lines of data each fld), even after quitting something stays in the
memory and balls up other programs.  So now I reboot automatically.

Shari C
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--
http://www.gypsyware.com