10000 fields and crash

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Sat Oct 4 16:41:00 EDT 2003

Richard Gaskin :

> May just be a memory issue, esp. given that you're using Mac Classic.
>
> Why do you need 10,000 fields?

he he he... I knew I would get such questions...
For short let's say I'm testing MC limits...

And I think I've found a possible answer to my question...
I've created a new stack with 1 card and 1000 flds on it.
Creating 1000 flds with "clone fld 1" in a repeat loop with
lock screen takes about 0.1 sec. And as said before, flds can be
modified (content & properties), grouped or ungrouped, etc. fluently.
This is no surprise, since MC limits for number of objects on a card
mentions a limit of 4 Gb.

Saving a stack with 1000 empty flds produces a 60 Kb file.
But to my BIG surprise, saving that stack takes about TWO
MINUTES (at least on a PowerMac G3-300) !!!!!
And a stack with 2000 flds produces a 112 Kb file, but saving
it takes about 9 minutes !!!!
So, when attempting to save a stack with 10000 flds, I don't
think it crashes nor freezes the app : it just takes forever !!!!

When opening the file with BBedit, I noticed that all info
regarding the flds is in binary (hence the small file size).
Could it be that this process of converting objects data to
binary takes so long ? And could there be some way to
improve that ?
Any MC/Rev big boss listening ?

And could someone be kind enough to try it on different
platforms and OS ?
Thanks in advance.

OTOH opening such a stack with 2000 flds is a snap.
It's time to go to bed now, but tomorrow I'll try another
approach : in BBedit I will duplicate the lines (of the text
file that describes the stack) relative to the flds by copy /
paste to match large numbers, and then I'll open the file
in MC... I guess this should work and be somewhat
faster... I hope that's possible...

JB