A question about using metacard/runtime to measure response times

Aimee Skye skyeal at mcmaster.ca
Fri Nov 21 16:23:54 EST 2003

Hi,

I downloaded the runtime revolution (2.1.2) evaluation edition, and I am
interested in programming experiments that measure people's response
times/latencies to particular events or stimuli. What I need to know is -
suppose a person initiates some event (e.g. a keypress) at time T. What is
the degree of or maximum amount of error in the RT that will be recorded by
the program. As a specific example, suppose I show a word on the screen at
time T1 (and ask the program to get the milliseconds when this event occurs)
and wait for the use to press a key on the keyboard which is time T2, and
then subtract the two to get a response time - what sort of error can I
expect in these estimates (on the order of milliseconds). Thanks for any
help you can provide.

Aimee

--
Aimee L. Skye