Speed differences between the Metacard and Revolution IDEs

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Sat Nov 1 16:41:53 EST 2003

Le sam 01/11/2003 à 13:36, Wilhelm Sanke a écrit :

--snip--

> To build a standalone of the 10 MB stack with Metacard took three
> seconds. With the Rev Distribution Builder is seemed to take forever, so
> I stopped this part of the experiment after half an hour and tried
> smaller stacks.
>
> Here the results for the smaller stacks:
>
> - stack 113 K with 775 controls (one card)  50 seconds
> - stack 180 K with 1546 controls (two cards) 2 minutes 30 seconds
> - stack 268 K with 2300 controls (three cards) 6 minutes
>
> Compiling these stacks under Metacard was one second only.

I found the same results, in testing both IDE in my own projects...

--snip--

> It seems that the Rev team still has a long way to go to achieve the
> "classic" simplicity and speed of Metacard and to find an optimal
> compromise between integrating their new features and maintaining an
> acceptable speed of execution at the same time.

I believe that the ability of the Rev's Team to take care about this
strategical consideration will ground the conceptual and technical
future of Revolution, as a possible first-class competitor to more
knowed and used langages (Java, Perl, Lisp...).

> I will send a more detailed report to the improve-revolution list.
>
> Regards,
>
> Wilhelm Sanke

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores at easynet.fr

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:   +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:   +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:   +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de productivité"