Installing MC at your ISP, a "How-To"

kweto kweto at ma.nma.ne.jp
Wed May 28 18:48:00 EDT 2003

Hello

I've been following this "How-To", by Sadhunathan Nadesan (for which, many
thanks! very useful and clear), that explains how to get mc-cgi running on
an outside web-server without actually having that server install mc. (Up to
now, I've been running mc-as-cgi on my homeserver with no problems;
howerver, I'm now in the process of transferring everything to a hosting
service.)

Anyway, according to the "How-To", part of the trick is discovering the
"print working directory" using the pwd command in a Borne shell script. You
need the fully resolved path of cgi scripts so that it can be entered in a
script's "#!" call to mc.

However -- and here's the off-topic bit -- after "successfully" retrieving
the pwd, I'm wondering if the command can be somehow restricted by the
server. I ask this because:

1) the path that was returned seemed to be missing parts I'd expected.
Specifically, the path returned was "/home/XXX/XXX/public_html/cgi-bin". Am
I wrong to think that other directories should be listed before the "home"
one?

2) the path that was returned didn't work when I used it to call up mc via
an mc.cgi script. Of course, this could mean that something else is wrong.
Which reminds me to clear up something omitted by the "How-To". Namely,
should uploading the mc engine be done in binary or ASCII mode? I did it in
binary. Similarly, if my web-host is running RedHat, and I too was running
RedHat on my homeserver, is it safe to assume that the mc that was working
on my homeserver should also work onthe web-host?

Thank you. And again, sorry for asking this sort of thing here.

BTW, I would have included a link to the "How-To" but couldn't connect to
the archives. Is something amiss there?

Cheers,

Nicolas Cueto