The imp of the perverse

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Wed May 14 13:29:35 EDT 2003

> Alain Farmer wrote:
>
> > It's a proven fact that most programmers become
> > notably attached to the first language they learned.
> > Kind of like a chick (baby duck) which bonds with
> > whatever thing is the FIRST that it sees.

I forgot 1 thing : according to Konrad Lorenz works,
AFAIR a baby goose (not sure it's been proven for
ducks as well) bonds to whatever MOVING thing is
the first it sees. That's a BIG difference.
Furthermore, I'm not sure if this concept called "imprint"
can be extended to learning of programming languages...

I agree, this is way OT, but anyway, jumping from one
concept to another just like that is not recommended...

JB