Windows XP

tech at paynesparkman.com tech at paynesparkman.com
Tue May 13 09:49:01 EDT 2003

>I have a commercial product written in MetaCard which consists of the .exe
>program and support files.  A problem we are having with Windows XP is that
>when the support files and folders are loaded onto the user's computer,
>Windows XP apparantly sets the attributes to "Read Only" and the user cannot
>write to the files.  Does anyone know why it does this?  and is there a way
>to reset the file attributes from MC?

I've seen this problem but it seems to have only happened when the files were copied from a CD to the users computer.  I assumed that because a CD is read only it
automatically converts files on it to read only.  It appears that if the files are zipped before being placed on a CD the problem is averted but, I haven't thoroughly tested this
yet.  Once the files are on the user's conmputer you can have them right-click on the file, select properties, then deselect the read-only check box.  If you want to do it with
MC use its shell command to execute the DOS attrib command described below with the -r switch.

Attrib
Displays or changes file attributes.

This command displays, sets, or removes the read-only, archive, system, and hidden attributes assigned to files or directories.

attrib [+r|-r] [+a|-a] [+s|-s] [+h|-h] [[drive:][path] filename] [/s[/d]]

Parameters

+r

Sets the read-only file attribute.

-r

Clears the read-only file attribute.

+a

Sets the archive file attribute.

-a

Clears the archive file attribute.

+s

Sets the file as a system file.

-s

Clears the system file attribute.

+h

Sets the file as a hidden file.

-h

Clears the hidden file attribute.

[[drive:][path] filename]

Specifies the location and name of the directory, file, or set of files you want to process. You can use wildcard characters (? and *) in the filename parameter to display or
change the attributes for a group of files.

/s

Processes matching files in the current directory and all of its subdirectories.

/d

Processes directories.

Rich Mooney
Payne Sparkman Mfg.