good read

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Tue May 13 02:35:00 EDT 2003

On Monday, May 12, 2003, at 11:02 AM, Sadhunathan Nadesan wrote:

> | I especially like this quote, which I think is good for the MC/Rev
> crowd.
<snip>
> | You should only need comments when there is some kind of kludge | |
> you need to warn readers about, just as on a road there are only | |
> arrows on parts with unexpectedly sharp curves."
>
> An alternate view:
>
> Don't listen to that advice!
>
> I especially, did _not_ like that one.  Sounds like programmer anarchy
> to me.
<snip>
> 	* by the final pass, there should be comments about every ten
> 	* lines of code

The thing I don't think is clear is that Paul Graham is a fanatic
advocate of short functions. Comments every ten lines of code matches
up pretty well with what he advocates: ten line functions with no
comments other than the one at the beginning that tells what they do.

regards,

Geoff Canyon
gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com