Err... MetaCard? Revolution?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun May 11 17:12:01 EDT 2003

JCT wrote:

> Sorry for the bandwidth...
> I am new to mc & rev. Tried rev first than mc that I much prefer.
> But can someone tell what is the connection between mc & rev?
> For ex. the address of this list is runrev.com. And on the rev list I
> saw many a time people noting that a script was available for both
> rev & mc almost as if both were the same.
> Does mc & rev use the same scripting langage? Any other connections?
> Same company?
> Sorry, this got me perplex.

It's a common question which comes up here every week or so.  I imagine
it'll be included in the Rev FAQ soon.

In brief, Rev puts a more extensive user interface with additional tools and
libraries on top of the MetaCard engine.  Both programs use the same engine,
hence the same file format, syntax, etc.  MetaCard's audience tends to have
a larger group of corporate Unix users, while Rev's features tend to appeal
to small businesses and contract developers (though there is a lot of
overlap in both directions).

At runtime, the primary difference between Rev and MC is the presence of
Rev's ibraries (Geometry Manager, Animation Manager, etc.).  But the core
syntax is the same, and stack files can be opened and edited in either,
provided the file type extension (Win) or file type code (Mac) are set
appropriately.

> Here is hoping that my FrenchGlish does not get in the way (too much :-)...

Far better than my EngFrench.  ;)