setting up a timer w/pendingmessages

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Fri May 9 05:47:01 EDT 2003

Bryan McCormick a écrit :

> Folks,
>
> This ought to be brain-dead simple, but I cannot for the life of me get
> this to work. I have a stack that needs to run itself at set times of
> the day. The intervals are large and fixed, that is there is a specific
> clock time involved, not just an interval.
>
> For example, I need the stack to be aware of the time of day when it
> opens and initialize itself. That part is easy.
>
> Then I need the stack to send out a request for data every half hour
> through a simple script which is working fine, so all we need is the
> timer. So that is on the half-hour and hour as follows:
>
> 9, 9:30,10, 10:30, ... all the way to 4PM.
>
> Now, the problem is "send" works great in cases where you need to
> "poll" on a regular basis or for event control. However I don't  need
> that at all. Ideally I would want to create 13 messages (13 half-hour
> intervals with set times) to start the script.
>
> It does not seem possible (at least the way I've done it) to "stuff"
> the time into the item of pendingmessages and let it go. In other
> words, I would ideally love to open the stack, get the time, have the
> 13 messages "popped" into the pendingmessages and off we go.
>
> So what have I missed? How embarrassed am I going to be at how simple
> this is?

This can work in using an on idle message (even if it's not very
academic) on all platforms. Else you can use a cron script under OSX or
Linux, and its equivalent (to search) under win32

on idle
if the short time is in "first short time, second short time, etc..."
then do theneededscript
end idle

Hope this helps
--
Cordialement, Pierre Sahores

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis.
Applications et bases de données WEB et VPN
Qualifier et produire l'avantage compétitif