metacard digest, Vol 1 #612 - 13 msgs

cteno4 cteno4 at earthlink.net
Wed May 7 14:22:00 EDT 2003

Sorry forgot to add to the last message that I have tried it either way.
with alwaysbuffer set to true i dont get any screen refreash of the video
(ie just the first frame or the current frame if i move a window over the
mc window). i do get the audio.

some other odd things also with always buffer true:

a. if i pause the movie (with the paused set to true) then try to restart
the movie with paused set to false the movie starts over from the
begining, not where it was paused.

b. i can get the video to be shown on the screen after starting the movie
by issuing a set the paused of player test to false (just video just
hangs on the first frame of the movie and the audio plays if i dont do
this)

c. interactivity get very sluggish with always buffer turned on (as
expected some), but its pretty extreem on a p4 2.5ghz machine.

another odd thing with always buffer true with windows media (ie
dontuseqt true) -- i can get the movie to pause and restart fine, but no
video is displayed (player stays blank and audio plays). i can get the
video to show up if i move another window over the player rapidly and
slowly the video will be displayed (but sometimes with horizontal gaps in
it). once i have the video displayed it plays fine and will pause and
restart fine with the paused prop. i cannot get the video to show up with
any scripting commands after loading the movie (ie lockscreen,
hiding/showing the player, or putting another object over the player and
removing it).

i found out from the client they created the mpgs as mpeg1 (they were
hoping to have the oldest compatibility with this), we are going to do
mpeg2 and avi tests now. this has to run on older systems that cannot be
updated at all (the client has some rather extreem IT rules). This is the
reason we are trying to use win media player hooks, not QT, since if QT
is on the systems it will be old or not installed at all.

The QT and windows media players can play the current movies fine and
pause and restart them with no probems. I tested the little test program
ive been doing with older QT movies that use sorenson, animation, and
cinepak compressors (from older mc video projects) and they work fine
with the above scripts/player system and behave as they should, so i
suspect its something in the mpeg1 file format that is causing trouble
with the mc player.

cheers,

jeff

>> I'm having some problems making a mpeg file begin playing after being
>> paused. I can get the pause, but then when the paused is set to true the
>> file just sits there, sometimes jumping ahead after awhile and playing,
>> othertimes just sitting there. only way to clear it is to empty the
>> player.
>
>What happens if you set the alwaysBuffer of the player to true?

Jeffrey H. Reynolds, Ph.D.
6620 Michaels Dr.
Bethesda, MD  20817

301.469.8562