Selecting an application

Yennie at aol.com Yennie at aol.com
Tue May 6 17:50:01 EDT 2003

The only thing I can think of is checking the "execute" permission on the
file. Of course, that can be set for any file, but I'm not sure that there is
a reliable way of distinguishing between, say,   an executable MetaTalk
script and the actual Metacard engine. Anything that is a script should start
with "#![someapp]", however. Also, folders have a directory bit that can be
fetched with "ls -l" on the current directory (along with the rest of the
permissions for each file). To further complicate matters, files have an
executable flag for the owner, owner's group, and for everyone else.

Not really an answer, but hopefully something to chew on.

HTH

Brian

> New question: How are apps distinguished on Unix?  It doesn't seem dependent
> on the file extension....

Brian Yennie
Chief Technology Officer
QLD Learning, LLC